SMF4U Browser Version 4.0 will to be launched in August!
Further information will be found here soon.
- Creation of user defined tables for displaying and sorting of values from multiple data fields. -> Values from different data fields can be compared, correlated and used to create new tables. The data is selected by simply clicking the relevant data fields while holding the Ctrl-key. This allows data fields from different records to be associated with one another in a new table.
- Export in CSV format -> Tables created from multiple data fields can be exported in CSV format for further processing, presentation or graphical analysis.
- Processing z/OS SMF datasets directly under z/OS -> The SMF4U Browser now provides near real time access to SMF records. The SMF4U Browser can access files created in the z/OS file format immediately after an SMF DUMP has occurred. This enables higher data volumes to be processed before any archiving or file transfers have occurred.
- Significantly enhanced SMF record type descriptions: The number of predefined data fields in SMF4U is growing daily and now exceeds 42000! -> SMF4U contains an unparalleled knowledge base of SMF record structures not available in traditional reporting tools.
- Search results can now be displayed in separate tree structure -> Search results can be opened in a separate tab using the SMF4U tree structure to allow better interpretation of searched values.
- Displaying system properties -> This diagnostic function is aimed at solving performance and java issues which can occur when running SMF4U.
SMF4U at the IBM zTechnical University
New approach towards the handling of information crowned with success
17.-19. May SMF4U has been presented at the Solution Center within the zTechnical University in Berlin to attendees from more than 30 countries. Many of the conference attendees took the opportunity to get to know SMF4U tools and the new approach towards the processing of information stored in SMF records with the aid of new technologies. Szymon Strebejko, in charge of business development at Systemwork, said: „I am very happy about the big international demand for SMF4U. It verifies our perception that a new era in the mainframe world has begun and users worldwide are opened and ready for new sophisticated tools.” With the tools SMF4U Browser and SMF4U Visual Reporting SMF4U influences significantly the traditional processing of SMF data by delivering the possibility to select, show and analyze information out of SMF records easily with only a few clicks. Hence SMF4U satisfies the need for the selection of accurate information out of the information flood and the need for reliable data. Please click on the photo gallery below to view the pictures from the pedestal at the Solution Center in Berlin. (Source HS-Photo) Further information about SMF4U can be found at www.smf4u.eu.
SMF4U to be presented on various events in 2010
- 21.04.-23.04.: GSE Reporting and Accounting Guide in Eltville
- 17.05.-21.05.: IBM z Technical University in Berlin
- 02.06.-03.06.: GSE zOS/390 (MVS) - Nord in Lüneburg
- 03.11.-05.11.: GSE RACF & Enterprise Security Guide in Paderborn
- 17.11.: GSE zOS/390 (MVS) - West
SMF4U presented for the first time on the GSE z/OS Conference in Lahnstein
The SMF4U Browser has been presented to a group of 80 z/OS experts who attended the z/OS spring conference hosted by Mr. Dietmar Frerix (KRZN). The presentation introduced the concept and main functions of the SMF4U Browser. Mr. Frerix himself presented his test results and view about the new SMF tool. SMF4U received a very positive feedback from the audience. A successful premier!
Direct SMF search and ad-hoc data analysis
Statement of the developer’s team
Discussions with z/OS system developers, as well as our own experience, show that the z/OS system is producing a lot of extremely important data which is not easy to access. If someone asked for system information, you could only reply that the data exists, but retrieving and analyzing it would take weeks of intense programming. This could be very frustrating. We decided to create a tool, which directly searches and shows SMF records and allows ad-hoc analysis of the data. Furthermore we added an application program interface (API). It allows very quick programming of easy software which generates reports, as reports, statistics, etc. SMF4U has become an important tool in our daily work. It is easy now to get the crucial insights into the system and present data within minutes. SMF4U will make every z/OS system developer’s life easier.
SMF4U developer’s team